ADVANTAGE: AWESOME


Saturday, October 20, 2007

Absence Makes The Heart Grow Bored

So I haven't posted for awhile. I'm contributing my lack of writing to my decision to drop energy drinks. Those sweetly disgusting caffeine bombs were my basic fuel for the past two years and now I'm trying to do without. It's taking a toll.


Anyway, I can bring myself to talk about a few things rolling in my mind right now.


1) When will someone tell Nic Klein that he's drawing the wrong Night Thrasher costume on the covers for New Warriors? He's been doing it since issue #2 and doesn't seem likely he will be changing up anytime soon, judging by the cover of #6.

2) Speaking of New Warriors, the team's(mainly Chamber's, who should know better) reaction to Tattoo's dying is confusing. What did they think was going to happen when they threw themselves between murderers and the people they intended to murder? It's one thing to not expect to die at a certain time, but to say they didn't sign on to die is plain stupidity. We want our heroes to live, but to have them completely clueless as to the dangers is kind of bad writing.

3) The Hellcat story in Marvel Comics Presents is great. The Immonens are a terrific team and the story seems like it's going to be pure fun straight through. It's the perfect story for the superhero ex-wife of the Son of Satan. I kind of wish it was it's own series. Marvel needs more books that are free of melodramatic angst. I like my heartwarming to be uplifting, not devastating.

4) For the Accursed Interloper, in All-Star Batman and Robin, The Boy Wonder, Miller introduces us to a Batman-obsessed Irish bartender who decides one day to join the fight against crime as the Black Canary. Overwhelmed while trying to stop gunrunners at Gotham Harbor, BC is saved by the insanely scary goddamned Batman, and to celebrate, the two heroes make out(more?) right there on the dock. True story.

5) After reading Wolverine #58, I only see Guggenheim digging himself deeper and deeper into a hole. To explain Wolverine's resurrection episodes, it's revealed Logan killed an Angel of Death in World War I. Okay, a supernatural explanation as to why Logan could regenerate after complete flesh destruction makes sense. But get this: it happens for every major injury past bullet wounds. If he gets stabbed in the heart, he dies. If his lungs collapse, he dies. If he gets burned, he dies. At first it seemed like Wolverine was too powerful. Now, his healing factor's weaker than Spider-Man's. At least Petey wouldn't die from a stab wound.

Just a few things I had rattling around in my head. We recorded a new podcast Thursday and it should be kind of hilarious. Except to FDR.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"a Batman-obsessed Irish bartender who decides one day to join the fight against crime as the Black Canary. "

ahhhhhhhhh! So she's like, not the real Black Canary then, right? Whew! As long as it's a bartender in fishnets and leather, then, that's much less undignified than if she'd been a florist. Thanks, I'm all better now.

Anonymous said...

"my decision to drop energy drinks. Those sweetly disgusting caffeine bombs were my basic fuel for the past two years and now I'm trying to do without. It's taking a toll."

That's a brave and difficult course of action you're taking there; best of luck with it. However, I refuse to even consider following your example.
Oh! This will irritate you, if you don't already know it. Popular energy-drink ingredient Taurine? It's a fucking "mild sedative"! I read that on the internet, so I know it must be true.
Thus, just this week I too quit all the pretentiously-named energy drinks, based on that aggravating little factoid, but NOT my beloved Jolt Cola or Mountain Dew Code Red, nossirreebob!